Wednesday, October 26, 2011

missing our Dondi

Our dear, precious Dondi is back home with Jesus. What an amazing man he was. The most generous man I've ever known. He was giving and he was kind. He was humble and thoughtful. A man of integrity. He loved God and he loved people. He impacted countless lives. He's always held a special place in my heart. I am so proud of him. I am so proud to be his granddaughter.   

Our hearts are aching. We deeply miss him. We will continue to miss his presence here on earth. And though our hearts ache and grieve, we do not grieve like the world does. We have hope. We have faith. Our trust is in God alone. Even when we have to say goodbye to ones we dearly love, we hold fast to the promises of our God and the hope that only comes from Him.

Many of you have prayed for comfort and peace for our family, and I can honestly say we've felt it. 
Thank you. Many of you have offered support and encouragement. We are grateful. It has been truly amazing to witness the outpouring of love for our family over the last few days. Hundreds and hundreds of people came to the visitation, many waiting for nearly two hours in the line that was out the door and wrapped around the building. The amount of support was so great, it took four and a half hours for our family to speak to everyone in line. I cannot begin to describe the gratitude. I've always thought the world of Dondi, and it was amazing seeing that so many others did, too. The service was something I will never forget. Once again, hundreds of friends joined us for a time where we cried, laughed, and remembered.  I am so proud of my Dad and the things he shared (and proud that he actually made it through!). I am deeply thankful for the numerous precious people that have gone above and beyond to help our family, especially my Mema, during this time. We have been so blessed with deep, loving friendships. With all my heart, I am thankful.

I have so many pictures with Dondi from over the years, 
but for today I will leave you with a few of my favorites...

Love this one. Mema and Dondi loved to travel with their grandchildren and this was taken before they took my cousin, Katie, and I on a cruise.


My precious Mema and Dondi. They celebrated 55 years of marriage in June. I am forever thankful for their example of love and friendship.


these next three are so special to me...
Dondi loving on Baby Addy




Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. 
The Lord is my strength and my shield; 
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. 
Psalm 28:6

2 comments:

Thomas, Becca, and Bailey said...

Beautiful, Jenny. You and your family are being held up in prayer. Love and hugs to you!

Kristen Butler Parker said...

Oh Jenny, I meant to hug your neck this weekend:( it sounds like your granddaddy was the best! I know you will miss him. What a legacy he left.
Hugs!!!